Hi, I’m ANNA KARSTEN.
(née Anna Lysakowska)
I started traveling solo approximately 10 years ago, when I left home permanently, and I’ve been exploring the world ever since. However, my story isn’t a typical blogger’s story… I didn’t sell everything to travel because I had nothing to sell. I also didn’t quit my job or leave a boyfriend. I believe that you can be an adventurous female without having to quit your job, university, or sacrificing your relationship.
One day you’ll find me in a luxury hotel, on another I’ll be horseback riding next to an active volcano, or hanging on aerial silks in the woods…
I want to show you the different aspects of travel experiences and how can you travel with purpose and learn from it. I’m here to prove that you can be born in an unprivileged country, suffer from chronic diseases, and still live an adventurous lifestyle. Dream big and learn from your travels. If I could do it, you can too!
Being born in Poland, to a regular family, I knew that I most likely wouldn’t be able to save up a lot and travel for a while. Neither it was something I wanted to do, as I wanted to go to school and work, rather than just taking a gap-year.
I’ve learned a few foreign languages and focused on becoming a jack of all trades in order to make my skills marketable enough to live abroad. I moved to the US and I used various opportunities to study abroad at world’s top universities and found serious jobs in many countries. I was also able to save up a bunch of money on the way.
I’ve lived in Amsterdam, London, Boston, Mexico City, Playa del Carmen, Cape Town, San Diego and Mendoza.
Over 80 countries later I’m still exploring the world and not planning on stopping anytime soon. I disagree that you cannot combine a serious job or hobby with travels, especially as a female. For instance, while I was publishing my book on international law and completing my MA degree I was also bungee jumping, hiking volcanos and traveling solo around Africa. Who says I cannot combine crazy travels with other things?
What’s Anna Everywhere All About?
My blog is meant to describe my travel experiences and explain things I’m familiar with. I’m here to prove that you can be born in an unprivileged country, suffer from chronic diseases and still live an adventurous lifestyle.
I aim to show you how can you dream big, travel with purpose and learn from it. If I could do it, you can too!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do you afford to travel?
While my blog is currently my main (but not the only) source of income, it hasn’t always been that way. I’ve been on the road way before I started travel blogging – 8 years more to be precise. If you’re curious how did I make it all happen to read my article on how I afford to travel and how I monetize my blog these days.
And… before anyone starts assuming: while I am often sponsored to travel somewhere, I also take my own trips to places I want to visit – just like I used to do before I started blogging.
I’d also never say that I’m being “paid to travel” like a lot of people claim to be. You can read my thoughts on this here.
Q: Where are you now?
My current location can be seen on my sidebar widget, as I’m always somewhere on the road. Yes, I update it all the time. For live updates you can see my Insta Stories.
(2018) I’m currently based in sunny California with my husband and Poofy the Cat & travel for approx. 6 months a year.
Q: What are your must-pack items for every trip?
Most of the time I travel with a small carry-on suitcase only. I’m not sure whether I’m naturally a good packer, or I’m too afraid that my luggage would get lost on the way and I’d end up with nothing.
Q: Aren’t you lonely on the road when traveling solo?
While I started this blog as a solo female travel blog, these days (since my husband I travel on my own 50% the time. I still love traveling solo.
Yes, I’ve got lonely many times, but I’ve learned to make friends as I go. Over the years I’ve been making a bunch of friends from universities, hostels or work – these days I can easily meet up with friends I made traveling anywhere I go.
Q: “I’m heading to X, do you have any tips?”
It’s the most common question, especially on Instagram. Before you ask me for tips to any place, let me ask you this: what kind of tips are we talking about? Are you asking if this place is safe? Do you want to know where to stay? Or maybe you want to know what are the best attractions? What do you want to know about this place and what kind of traveler are you?
I have plenty of tips about destinations I visited, but I need more information. I can’t give you any answer before knowing what do you expect to hear from me.
Some Random Facts About Me:
- As you could have seen in my videos on YouTube or Instagram stories I speak English, Spanish, Polish, Italian and Dutch. I’m also proficient in French and used to speak German.
- I adore all wildlife, but my favorite ones are penguins, wombats, and dolphins. As a kid, I’ve had a miniature menagerie at home with all kinds of hamsters, rabbits, frogs, tortoises, cats, and quails. I even had a pet duck in the garden. Playing with penguins in Antarctica is still on top of my bucket list! Disclaimer: I don’t support riding elephants and other activities that abuse poor animals!
- I do aerial acrobatics which means I love to hang from the hoop upside down, swing from a flying trapeze and play with silks up in the air. Check my Instagram if you’re unsure what exactly is it! Ah, and I’m also a dancer.
I studied at 6 universities, just to create my own online business that’s completely unrelated to anything I’ve learned in any of these schools. During my journey around the world I had a chance to study at:
- Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun (2007 – 2009), BA Inter-faculty Individual Studies in the Humanities, major in Cultural History
- University College London (2009 – 2010), MA Dutch Studies
- Harvard University (2010), PGDipl in journalism – Feature Writing
- University Iberoamericana in Mexico City (2011), PGDipl in Fashion Marketing
- Oxford Brookes University (2012 – 2013), PGDipl in International Law & International Relations
- Leiden University (2013-2014),MA Latin American studies